Well I managed to blow it...In typical one step forward, two steps back this squad has gone from being on the verge of completion to far from done. I made the mistake of trying to do the decals today, normally not a suspicious person; it does seems that the curse of Friday 13th has struck today. So what exactly is the problem? Well today I actually managed to finish everything for the Tactical Squad bar markings, with Forge World transfers and Microsol/Microset in hand, I thought this would be a quick and easy final home stretch.
Alas not to be...Despite following the guides ie: gloss varnish area etc the transfer turned out bad, fair enough I thought, lets remove the transfer and start again. Not a chance. The Microset ended up stripping the varnish underneath and the paint, leaving the shoulders pads with scratches of plastic. I even managed to balls up the banner, with the paint turning out grainy at one end and glossy due to some problem with the drying, the other end!
So the remedy has been to carefully remove the shoulder pads and strip them completely for an re-painting tomorrow. In regards to the iconography, I am probably going to hand paint everything, as this at least gives me total control of how it looks and also allows me much greater control of mistakes, compared to using transfers and chemicals. With the banner, I am going to mask the veteran sergeant and airbrush it, so that it matches everything else.
There was a reason I stopped using transfers long ago, today was quite a bitter reminder as too why I did in the first place...Luckily no damage was done to the figures when removing the pads, but I am calling it a day, first thing tomorrow will be clean up and some free hand practice.
Thanks for reading (a fairly disheartened!)
The 14th legion